Monday, May 28, 2007

So Long, Farewell, auf Wiedersehen, Goodnight

Well it is time to close another chapter on my MBA course. When this all started 6 weeks ago, I was thinking “what style and substance can I add to this?” I’m sure folks found it a bit of a drag to write on topics related to IT, but I didn’t really have a problem coming up with topics. The very first blog was rather intuitive to write, considering I have worked in the IT industry for the last 10 years. However I soon realized that there was a lot more to the IT industry than what I have experienced as a mainframe programmer and my latest career incarnation, a business analyst.

The course touched on a lot of things I am familiar with (databases, transaction processing, enterprise systems, etc.) and some of the latest technologies I was not so familiar with (wi-fi, IEEE standards). But it also got me into blogging. I had always thought that this was for folks who didn’t have much to say, or didn’t bother writing to “letters to the editor” of their local print media. But I have come to find out, as mentioned in one of my articles, blogging is now part of the cultural landscape, moreso than I expected.

On my first article on software flaws, I got a response for a gent whom I never met, nor was a part of my class, or worked in my profession. I was a little wigged out at first, but then it dawned on me that this is what it’s all about. Voicing an opinion, sharing information, no matter how subjective the topic is. And after the dot-com boom, I thought that there would be eons before a feasible company would make it online again, but then Google proved me wrong. So thanks for introducing me to Web 2.0, and bringing me up to speed technologically with most teenagers without having to watch MTV. But given the rate at which technology changes, I'm sure by the time I finish this program, I'll be assumed technologically illiterate like this poor lad in the following clip.


1 comment:

Louis-Philippe Gauthier said...

Hello Jason,

Glad thee homework got you to discover the technologies of web 2.X, and your right... it's all about voicing an opinion.

Enjoyed your take on RFID, especially with the point on keeping out the undesirable LOL.

- Louis-Philippe Gauthier
http://www.philippegauthier.info